Thursday, December 31, 2009

How is your glass?

Two, the milleniums.

Zeros, the centuries, the decades

Nine, the years.

After twenty four weeks,

three hundred and sixty five days.

All is to change in the coming hours.

Try reflecting over the minutes,

and even seconds which have gone by,

how would you judge this bottle of wine?


And there I stood, watching as those memoirs of yesteryear flash by. At one moment, there was a start of a new year, fresh and energizing. Always that way at the start. And now here we are, all standing by the tip of the canyon, the end of this journey, all ready and set to embark on a new one ahead as we watch the past fall behind, like it was just a matter of seconds.

Maybe those seconds mattered more than what it seemed to be. It has always been the human brain playing a trick on us, don't you think? Like some psychologists say, the brain cuts off less meaningful events, moving forward events to make them seem very near to us when in truth, we have gone through much more than we thought we would. Time had given us three hundred and sixty five days, only to have it converted into a matter of minutes.

On one hand, you might say I have not done much. I sometimes think so too. It is as if I have poured cheap dessert wine into my new wine glass. Bored is the term I usually use. Perhaps I indeed have not made much improvement or achievements from the eyes of the spectators, still planted in front of this little corner of mine as always. I guess this is what most think of themselves when they reflect, don't they? Try to think about it. How many on this Earth would think that they have done a lot and are extremely satisfied about how they have filled their wine glass? I'd say not more than ten percent. Sadly, when requested to give a suggestion for any amendment of time, everyone hoped they have more hours.

Yes we will never be satisfied. It is human nature. Coming out fresh from Psychology 1B, I dare say that according to various studies, the human happiness level is constant. When we experience significant events, it is then that we experience the significant change. Though, it still levels off soon after. We will then come into that same level of happiness as we once were. Many say they wish for happiness. Honestly, can this ever be achieved? I guess that question can be left for the bored in later days.

If I wrote what I have done in an essay and submit it to a superstar panel, I bet all of them would say I have wasted it. Give them to mega entrepreneurs, they would say I am stupid enough to waste income. What do you expect? Half a year of slacking plus half a year of slacking. I bet the only times I had ever made any progress can be shortened to a matter of weeks.

However, I dare say that 2009 has been the most productive year of my entire life. Physically, I may not have done much. But as far as how I thought I made my steps, I feel I have done so effectively. It could have been more, that I cannot deny. But it takes a little bit of self reflection to make someone get out of that little shell they were once guarding themselves with all these years.

I have not felt so proud of what I have been through for so long. 2009 brought me a change to my life. My perceptions, my ideas. It was when I realised what I had really wanted and what I had passion about. It was then I discovered the very pieces that form my soul. It was then that I finally reflected through all my life, and finally come to my senses on what I was to go through in the coming decade.

This may seem kind of small. But hey, who would dare say that they know what they want for themselves, truthfully and with confidence? That is an achievement itself that goes a long way. I found my interests, my goals and my soul. Finally, "我的自述" should not be much of a problem. Something that I should have mastered a long time ago. The question of the centuries.

Anyhow, words must be put into action. A new dawn looms ahead at the horizon, promising so much hope and excitement. Let the psychics say all they want about omens and predictions. It is not up to them to predict how we should run our lives. Destiny might ask you to predict your own life, making it your destiny to do it. But since it is our destiny to do all that we are supposed to do, why not look ahead with a smile and take the next footstep in our destiny's path. As for me, I'm just happy to have the privilege to do something I have not wanted to do for the last 16 years of my life. Haha. Don't you just love what your destiny can do to yourself? I do. And hopefully, those around the globe would love their destinies. Onward with the millenium!

Coming back to the wine glass. High class wine drinkers say dessert wine drinkers are low class. Red wine is the thing out there. I'd have to give them a slap in the face. A wine glass is meant for wine. If dessert wine is not wine, what is it? Besides, come to think of it, dessert wine can prove to be quite a lovely beverage too. As a new wine glass is placed before me, what should I pour into it? Well, that's the question I'd leave for tomorrow.

As for now, there is still 3 quarters of an hour to go here in the land down under. My best wishes to all that I have been so privileged to meet out there! To all in Penang and all over the world. Let us all have a toast with the last few sips of the wine in our wine glass and enjoy every moment of it!

To all readers out there,
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope you have an awesome glass of wine! =)

No comments: